The Nexus Arts Studio Residency is an exciting opportunity for contemporary South Australian emerging artists from a culturally diverse background, or whose work explores culture and/or cultural diversity.
The Residency is offered twice a year, aligning with two important South Australian cultural festivals, allowing successful applicants to develop their creative practice through studio research and showcase a significant professional visual arts project or body of work to a wide audience.
Each Residency will respectively take place during the Adelaide Fringe and the SALA festival, and will offer one artist a studio located in the Adelaide CBD for 3 months, coupled with a solo exhibition in the Nexus Gallery at the completion of the residency.
The SALA Studio Residency is also inclusive of a mentorship opportunity with an established/senior South Australian creative practitioner, developed in negotiation with the successful applicant.
At Nexus’ discretion and subject to negotiation, applications may be considered for other times in the calendar year, depending on our own programming and the needs or aspirations of the successful applicant.
The two residency opportunities are offered as follows:
- Fringe Opportunity: Studio Residency and Exhibition
End-November/December 2018 residency leading up to an exhibition coinciding with Adelaide Fringe Festival, mid to late February 2019. (Please note that there is no mentorship attached to the Fringe 2019 opportunity.)
- SALA opportunity: Studio Residency, Mentorship and Exhibition?:
Studio residency and mentorship period from May/June 2019, leading to an ?exhibition coinciding with SALA (end July/early August 2019)
The selected artist will:
- Work in contemporary visual arts practice and/or across artforms.
- Be from a culturally or linguistically diverse background or create work that explores cultural diversity through direct engagement or practice-led research.
- Commit to utilising the studio space on a regular basis (minimum 10 hours per week)
Further selection criteria can be found in the application form. Studio Residency application forms (available for download in sidebar) must be completed in full to be considered.
Applications for the 2019 Studio Residences close Tuesday 14 August 2018
Please note that we encourage all applicants to make contact with Nexus Arts to discuss their intended project ([email protected] / (08) 8212 4276) prior to submitting their application.
- Studio dimensions: approx. 6m x 4m (24m2)
- 24-hour access to a safe working environment (some restrictions apply).
- Secure, alarmed premises.
- Lockable space.
- Access to amenities such as toilets, kitchen, meeting and eating areas
- Access to internet, photocopying, printing and fax facilities
- Support from staff in accessing funding opportunities
- Artists details on the Nexus website
- An address for contact by prospective curators, buyers and funders
- Exposure through working in a prominent CBD location
Mentorship Details (alongside 2019 SALA Residency opportunity):
- Nexus Arts will assist in brokering and facilitating a mentorship arrangement with a suitable practitioner chosen by the resident artist.
- A set number of contact hours, negotiated with mentor.
- Significant professional and creative/practice development opportunity
- Month long solo exhibition in the Nexus Gallery, Lion Arts Centre
- Promotional material includes: Online catalogue, postcards and vimeo promotional video
- Opening Night